6 1/2+ year-old bucks

BSK
10 Point

6 1/2+ year-old bucks

Post by BSK »

Although most hunters--especially trophyists--won't believe it, in some habitat and terrain, even without poaching or over-harvest of young bucks, 6 1/2+ year-old bucks are EXCEPTIONALLY rare. Because of difficult life conditions (poorer habitat and rough terrain) old bucks simply don't survive rut stress once they reach a certain age. BGG and I have talked about this at great length, and he agrees with that assessment. In certain habitat, even when plenty of mature bucks are present, 6 1/2+ year-old bucks almost never show up in the harvest data--and these areas are virtually impossible to poach due to habitat and terrain.

So when I do get a trail-cam picture of a 6 1/2+ year-old buck, it's truly a wonder.

One from this year:

One from last year:

From a couple of years ago (and we knew this guys age because we had been watching him for 4 years):

"Know where you stand and stand there" Jesuit Father Daniel Berrigan

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into" Jonathan Swift
Deerbuster
10 Point

Re: 6 1/2+ year-old bucks

Post by Deerbuster »

I've killed 1 buck over 6 1/2. And I was my 1st buck.his teeth where just about dead even with his jaw bone.
GO LSU
BSK
10 Point

Post by BSK »

I've been deer hunting for over 35 years, and hunting managed property for over 20 years, and I've killed a grand total of 1 buck 6 1/2+. Not much in the antler department, but check out the neck on this stud buck:

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into" Jonathan Swift
Tennessee Lead
10 Point

Post by Tennessee Lead »

Those are true Monarchs!

Sent from the barrel of a model 70 at 3300 fps
"A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be" - Fred Bear
huntinkev
10 Point

Post by huntinkev »

That necks huge.
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

Man what some bucks! I only killed 1 also but it was in Illinois.

Sent from somewhere in the sticks using Tapatalk
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
huntinkev
10 Point

Post by huntinkev »

I imagine it gets harder to pinpoint age after a certain point. When you say 6 1/2+, are you confident it's closer to 6 1/2 or what are the probabilities that it could be say closer to 9 1/2?

I remember seeing someone post that Cades cove buck that said 9 1/2. I would think it would be difficult for a buck to live that long outside of the national park, or would that even matter.
MUP

Post by MUP »

That is really something for sure! I can only say I've killed 2, maybe 3 that were possibly 4-1/2. Saw 1 that might have been older than 4-1/2 years ago while hunting. Awesome to see and know that they are that old BSK!
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
BSK
10 Point

Post by BSK »

huntinkev wrote:I imagine it gets harder to pinpoint age after a certain point. When you say 6 1/2+, are you confident it's closer to 6 1/2 or what are the probabilities that it could be say closer to 9 1/2?

I remember seeing someone post that Cades cove buck that said 9 1/2. I would think it would be difficult for a buck to live that long outside of the national park, or would that even matter.
I should have just said 6 1/2, as I don't believe any of these bucks are older than that.

I do believe the key factor in age limitation is local environment (habitat and terrain). Even though agricultural habitat is much easier to poach, I do see bucks that are clearly 7 1/2, 8 1/2, and even 9 1/2 in flat, heavily agricultural areas. But in rugged 95% hardwoods, I can probably count on one hand the number of bucks over 6 1/2 I've seen on trail-camera or in the harvest. The conditions cause very high mortality of bucks after 5 1/2.

BSK
10 Point

Post by BSK »

MUP wrote:That is really something for sure! I can only say I've killed 2, maybe 3 that were possibly 4-1/2. Saw 1 that might have been older than 4-1/2 years ago while hunting. Awesome to see and know that they are that old BSK!
On my family's place, over 20 years of management, I think we've killed 7 or 8 bucks that were 4 1/2, but only two bucks that were 5 1/2, and only one buck 6 1/2. Although we are by no means practicing Trophy Management. Our buck harvest rule is simply "no yearlings"--except for new hunters. So the vast majority of what we kill is the easiest older buck to kill--2 1/2 year-olds. Last time I checked, we have killed about 60 bucks 2 1/2 or older over our 20 years of management, which means we're only averaging about 3 per year.

Lost Lake
10 Point

Post by Lost Lake »

Wow. That's a treat to see bucks of that age class. Truly a different looking animal!!
A man is best measured not by what motivates him, but what it takes to stop him.
AllOutdoors
10 Point

Post by AllOutdoors »

Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing. Got a pic of this guy a few years ago. I feel like he is old but have no history with him.Image